Sunday 1 June 2014

Course Project - Barbican, Cambridge, Workshop


The initial studies of my ‘En Plein Air’ course project began around the Barbican Centre and later explored the larger area of Cambridge. I did not begin with a single subject focus; instead I tried to achieve a balance of human activity, organic and inorganic structures around these environments. I found capturing human activity to be the most challenging, or rather I found it difficult to record any change in the surroundings, whether it manifested in an individual or an environment. This process would later become my focus in this particular project.

Early on, I primarily employed the use of watercolours in my studies as they were easily used to demark colour and shapes. However, they were visually rather drab and weak, in contrast to the studies that I made using black ink and a dry brush, paying less reverence to the physical actuality of forms and objects.


Barbican Studies

Cambridge Studies
 For the most part I continued to utilise watercolours until a studio work shop. Making studies of assembled disparate objects I was encouraged to experiment with coloured inks, irrespective of how little resemblance the colours of my available inks bore to the various objects. Using the distinct shades in a specific sequence, creeping out from a single corner of the page, I could effectively record the order in which I drew each object so long as I remembered the specific sequence of colours (red, green, blue, orange). It was at this point that I developed an interest in attempting to record change and development in my observations whilst maintaining a comfortable distance from too realistic a facsimile of my subject.
Workshop Image









No comments:

Post a Comment